Welcome to Forever - Nathan Tavares


Thanks to NetGalley and publisher for this arc 

Welcome to Forever may have been a little ambitious for me. As you've read previously, I'm trying to read more SF and am often left confused, but still, I'm enjoying my reads. I didn't think this book would particularly challenge me, but here we are, with me unable to wholly enjoy this story because I felt left out. Welcome to Forever was a 5 star prediction, and if my rating was solely based on the characters it would totally be. I feel like it isn't a story especially hard to understand, so maybe it was not the right time for me to read it. I still enjoyed it though and gave it a 3.5 stars!

I can't really explain what I didn't understand since I would be entering the realm of spoilers. At the beginning, we are with Fox, a memory editor who wakes up in a Center for Memory Reconstruction with no memory of who he is, and more importantly, of his dead husband. Throughout the book, he will discover and remember the many lives they have lived together, and possibly a more sinister element that threatens the world.

As I said, I really enjoyed the characters and discovering how they had changed over the years was so interesting. The setting of the story was also captivating, as we don't know exactly how far in the future we are and what has happenned to the world we know now. Sadly, we soon discover that it is not in good shape and a lot of our actual problems are the same or worse, but it's only mentioned in passing as it was not the main theme of the book (but still has its weight on the unfolding of the story). This last point was frustrating because I think that having the big picture would've helped me really get this world.


Rep: queernorm society, POC as MCs and SCs

TW: death, memory loss, self loss, vomit, cheating on partner, classism, body swapping, "drug" addiction (to memory editing), medical procedures, amnesia, terrorist attack, sequestration, prostitution (child and adult), illness, death of family, grief, traumas, smut

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Never a hero - Vanessa Len

Infinity Gate - M.R. Carey

Come Home Safe - Brian G. Buckmire