Thief Liar Lady - D.L. Soria

Thanks to NetGalley and publisher for the arc!

D.L. Soria stands for Destiny Soria when she writes for adults, and this is her first adult novel. She is one of my favourite authors so I just HAD to read this. As usual, it's a stand alone and the concept was so intriguing! What if all we know about Cinderella is wrong and what happens after the happy ever after?

Ash is an amazing character. She was manipulative but always tried to be nice and felt guilty about being fake. Her backstory was very interesting and I wished we had another novel about the world to know more about the political state of the countries. The theme of colonisation was very strong but left me wanting more. This book made me realise that I, in fact, do love heists. What a revelation!

The magic system was pretty fun and scary, and I very much liked the secondary characters who felt very real in all their complexity. There was a scene between Ash and Everett that made me very uncomfortable as it felt so wrong and like a mutual rape. If you've read Thief Liar Lady, you probably know what I'm talking about.

I did love this book but I was a little disappointed that there was not as much queer representation as usual (just a little sapphic kiss mentioned), but oh well.

"I think you'll find, if you pay close enough attention, that most women are always angry."


Rep: POC secondary characters, sapphic kiss mentioned
TW: manipulation, murders (also on kids), torture, murder attempt, sex scene that read as mutual rape, parental abuse, betrayal, animal cruelty, smut


 

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Never a hero - Vanessa Len

Come Home Safe - Brian G. Buckmire

Infinity Gate - M.R. Carey